Convalidating a catholic marriage

Rated 4.38/5 based on 584 customer reviews

If you need an annulment, get one; no matter how long it takes, it is worth the wait.If you are living together outside of marriage, go find a strong priest who is on fire for Christ and the gospel, and get help with your situation.We live in a culture desperately in need of good, strong marriages.We live in a world that gives up on marriage when it gets hard.Man must feel himself called to rediscover, or even better, to realize, the spousal meaning of the body and to express in this way the interior freedom of the gift, that is, the freedom of that spiritual state and power that derive from mastery over the concupiscence of the flesh.These words from Saint John Paul II, have for me, been at the heart of the annulment and convalidation process; healing, redemption, purity, mastery over concupiscence, a deeper understanding of the spousal meaning of the body, and a grasp of the sacramentality of marriage.

Question: Consider a Catholic couple marrying at a register office. I just don't understand why they would ask for a blessing afterwards.

And so when I found out that my priest was willing to hear my confession and pray with me, it quickly became an avenue for mortification of sin and purification of my heart and soul. Thank you for hearing my confession and praying with me, Father.” And so my faithful priest hears me, gives me spiritual direction, and prays with me.

For months while we walked through the purgatorial annulment season, I would show up and plop down in the chair opposite my priest: “I know you already know, but I need to remind you again that I cannot apply the sacrament to you,” my priest kindly and gently reminds me. Even without absolution and the full exercise and benefits of the sacrament, God used this time to work on my heart.

Answer: First, I ought to say that I am not an expert on Canon Law, nor indeed civil law - so any corrections or clarifications a reader might give will be welcome. I presume that you are speaking of the UK where marriages can be contracted according to civil law during a religious ceremony. ) the civil marriage takes place before the equivalent of a JP, usually the day before the religious ceremony.

In these cases the civil and the religious ceremonies are always separate, so your question does not really apply.

Leave a Reply